Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wor(se)kaholic!

Is it really obvious that i'm that big of a workaholic? Haha. I guess its true. I've heard my mother, siblings, and co-workers talk about me in the same light. Dunno. I think I'm just a do whatever it takes kinda guy. in reality, it would be weird for me to leave work before 7 (maybe coz i get to the office at 10) or not work a few weekends in a row. If the shoe fits, right...

I've been a slave to the corporate life for 2+ years now, and this is the only way i really know how to function. Maybe its the nature of my industry - market research has been known to suck the life out of many a young eagerly wide-eyed consultants. Or maybe it's because i work agency side - client is always king and you just do what you gotta do to keep 'em happy.. Or maybe its the fact that, in reality, i'm actually really not that good and i use the extra hours to compensate for my not so obvious but quite actual lack in business acumen. (insecure much?)

Sigh. In any case it sucks to be sick. Well it sucks and it doesn't suck. It doesn't suck coz for a day or 2, you have an excuse not to reply to emails, attend any meetings or answer any phone calls. True, they can call or email... But you can be "so sick" or concentrating on "trying to recover" that you just could answer them. It's not that you didn't want to, it just you physically couldn't. Or at least that's what you tell your co-workers and you slave the rest of the 99% of the time so they are bound to believe you. Haha.

But it also sucks coz deep down (well not so deep), i just want to do my best and give it all that i got. You know, conquer that bitch of a project and own the sucker. And i can't do that when i'm sick! Dammit!

The bottom line is i'm just starting to recover (as in just healthy enough not to get quarrantined) from a pretty nasty non-h1n1 bug, my flight leaves in 3 and a half hours, i haven't and couldn't sleep a wink whatsoever... so i check my work email while I'm in bed from under my cover using my phone... I even replied to a few peeps in london who had apparently already left the office... How sad is that. I think i eventually need to fix this.

PS - I wrote and uplpaded this entry exclusively from my phone (hence please forgive the occasional abrevoation, misspelling or miscapitalization). How cool is that! Um, but seriously this smartphone business is not quite the useful anti-workaholic remedy i'm looking for if ya know what i mean...

No comments: