November 9, 2008
2:57 AM
I’ve been meaning to write a post about Mr. Dongwon Ha. And I think this moment right now is perfect. It just started raining, thundering actually, and I’m still up sipping on the remnants of my caramel frapp. Actually, let me light a cigarette to pay tribute to the guy.
I remember almost exactly how I met Don. He was sitting down at his desk when HR was introducing me to the people in the office. I don’t exactly remember what he said, but I remember the accent - there as pronanouce and definite identifiable twang... I was like this guy’s Korean, but he’s American – YES, THANK GOD! We had lunch together with our team and after lunch, I pulled out my pack of Marlboro menthol lights and I saw his face light up! Hahaha! Yup. Nothing better than a ciggy for dessert!
Basically, that’s how it all started – over a stick of menthols. We were two tourists in a foreign land with time on their hands. Then it was a trip to the botanic gardens, Robertson Quay, Clarke Quay, Butter Factory (twice), Dempsey Hill, St. James Power Station, and of course Bugis! Fast forward 2 months later, and Don’s leaving for Korea. Sigh. Don, among others, because a significant part of my social circle here, and it was sad to see him go. I’m used to friends leaving or me leaving friends. For god’s sake, I just left a whole life of people!
But it’s never easier.
This is going to sound arrogant, but I'm still gonna write it down. On 2 or 3 occasions, Don thanked me for re-awakening something in him. Drive. He said he had lost it a while back and he didn’t even notice. But here I come, strolling into the RI Singapore office... Jovial, overly enthused Jacques! I never really thought about it then… But it’s really flattering – that someone noticed. Humbling at the same time, too. Makes me really happy actually, that I was able to have a positive effect on someone, specially a good friend.
So ya. Don, you are welcome. But to tell you the truth, I should be the one saying thanks. Not only did you save me from boredom and pathetic social isolation. You reminded me that passion and drive count for so much more than what people give them credit for. And you know what, right now passion and drive are all I’m running on. I have no back up plans, no safety nets, no options to fail. All I have are passion and drive. That’s about it.
So on this stormy night, as I ready myself for bed and a day of nomadic behavior (I move house tomorrow), I send you my gratitude and wish you the very best, Mr. Ha, Dongwon. You more than deserve it. In the mean time, I look forward to successful futures in French cuff shirts! We will laugh away the night when we meet again…
Ok, I have a confession, I didn’t really smoke as much before Don. But whatever. It was worth it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment